THROW BACK PHOTOS OF LAGOS IN THE 60s
Lagos, the economic heart beat of West Africa was bombarded by the British in 1851, annexed on August 1861 and declared a colony in March 1862. By 1872, Lagos had become a cosmopolitan trading centre with a population of 60 000. The topography of Lagos is dominated by islands, sandbars and lagoons. The city itself sprawls itself over three main islands: Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland and Victoria Island connected to one another through a system of bridges.
A major street , well-known location and also one of the oldest streets on the Lagos Island. In those days, Broad Street was home to local middle-class families but these days, it is said to be the commercial centre in Lagos CBD. The"Secretariat" on Broad Street was constructed in 1906; both Eko Boys' High School and Christ Church Primary School provided education for children living in and outside Broad Street. As at now, the street is not only much engaged in commerce or remained a commercial hub in one of the city's business districts but the home to major financial companies' headquarters. Also, the distinctive and elegant is currently home to some financial banks in Lagos. FEDERAL PALACE HOTEL A property of Sun International and Nigeria's premier international hotel is located on Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria-Island overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel, steeped in history was constructed in 1959 combines ancient charm and modern luxury. It provides luxury facilities for guests especially foreign dignitiaries, business, leisure and all. THE OLD CLOCK The monument was used to indicate time of the day while the Memorial Statue on the left portrayed the great soldiers who fought relentlessly during the First and Second World Wars also known as "Soldier Idumota". LAGOS BAR BEACH Located in Victoria Island and the most popular beach in Nigeria, it is named after the sand-bars that lines the Lagos coastline. It is a popular relaxation spot for Lagosians. THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF CHRIST It is oldest Anglican Cathedral in Nigeria and presently the seat of the Archbishop of Lagos. Its construction was completed in 1946 and is located in Marina, CMS Lagos. TINUBU SQUARE Formerly known as Independent Square, it was built in 1960 and reconstructed in 2007 by the Lagos State government. Located on the Lagos Island, the square houses the statue of Madam Efunroye Tinubu, the 1st Iyalode of Egbaland and a well-known trader cum influential aristocrat.
You forgot to mention the first story building in Nigeria which is located at Badagary